Sunday, September 5, 2010

Staying outside the lines



One of our happy moments today after church and lunch together was sitting at the table with a coloring page and markers. It kept her attention for a only short while...much to my dismay. I could have sat there and crafted all afternoon but she didn't want to be confined.

Ladybug's little personality has been shining fiercely as of late. Our little sweet, easy-going baby is growing into a more attitude laden toddler. Perhaps some of the fussiness is from teething, at last count she was up to twelve total poking through the gums. I see a lot of it as when she wants something, she wants it now and the redirects are working less and less. Yes, that small little girly package has a ferociously loud wail complete with crocodile tears when she doesn't get exactly what she wants. I don't want to be the mother that gives in to the temper tantrums but I also don't want to be the mother that experiences this in public under the scrutiny of others.

From what I've read so far, having a little temper spell is a sign that she's feeling safe and confident with the love that she's being given. She feels free to "let her hair down" so to speak. I felt good reading that knowing that's been one of the most important goals for us as parents of an adopted child.

I'm certain that we're going to be giving her everything she needs while growing up, it's just going to be on our timetable, not hers. Do you know of any 18 month olds with cell phones? I didn't think so. It's staying out of sight from now on.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I think Marissa is experiencing so much love and happiness, she is enjoying seeing all she can do (and get by with). She is enjoying being free to enjoying life to the fullest. You and T will teach her how to accept that she can't have it all right now. What a wonderful time you will have molding her into the precious child we know she already is. Prayer helps and her Nanny prays for her each day.

Unknown said...

Thanks Deana! This makes me feel so much better. Abby is the same way when she wants something. She gets so frustrated with me sometimes. I am glad to know it is because she is comfortable with me. :) By the way, she doesn't have a cell phone either :) Can't wait to see you on Thursday.