Sunday, September 14, 2008

Home Sweet Home

It was quite a vacation in Virginia and it was a bigger adventure trying to get there! Thomas took me to the airport early Wednesday morning and traffic was extremely bad. My plane was leaving at 9:05 and we were just entering the airport tollway at 8:20. I said a prayer that I would at least get to my gate at 8:30. We pulled up at 8:31 and I attempted to check my bag at the curb. The attendant said, "Sorry, you're too late for curbside check in." I raced up the escalator and headed straight for the check in desk. The attendant there was very nice, but told me that I was TOO LATE to check a bag. I could not believe this. She punches in on her computer and says there's another flight this afternoon, but then makes a call and asks the boarding crew if I can carry on my bag. They agree IF I could get the bag through security. The attendant looks at my bag and says, "I'm not even sure if it will fit into the x-ray machine." Then, she asks me the dreaded question. Do I have any liquids in my bag? Well, of course I do...that's why I wanted to check the bag. We open the suitcase and I pull out my Ziploc bag as she is spouting off regulations about 3 oz or less. I grab a few hair products, which are clearly over the limit, and ask her to throw them away. Then I see my full size Mary Kay cleanser and I almost start to cry as I hand it over. It also, goes into the trash. We zip up the suitcase and head over to the security area. The bag just barely fit and I was on my way.

I rode the subway into Washington D.C. and spent the day walking around the Smithsonian and the Washington Monument. It happened to be September 11 and noticed a lot of the monuments were closed and the flags were all at half-staff. It was a beautiful place and so much to see that I really needed another day.

My friend drove us up to the Dahlgren naval base which is right off the Potomac River. I saw this bridge going across the river which turned out to be the Harry W Nice Memorial Bridge leading to Maryland. We drove over and stopped at the visitor center so I could say that I've been to Maryland.

I also went to two of my favorite stores! Dottie's Den, a very nice gift shop and Scrapdoodles!

It was a great trip, but I am glad to be home. Back to work and my regular routine tomorrow!








No comments: